It is not a myth. Men can be faithful.
More specifically, men currently in a monogamous relationship can stay faithful. It’s all in his biochemistry.
According to a 2012 study by neuroscientists, “The prosocial neuropeptide oxytocin (OXT) has been identified as a key facilitator of both interpersonal attraction and the formation of parental attachment.”
In their study, they administered oxytocin nasally in men currently in relationships and the results were quite an eye-opener.
The oxytocin helps in making men avoid signalling romantic interest to other women through close-approach behaviour during social encounters. In this way, oxytocin may help to promote fidelity within monogamous human relationships.
What is oxytocin?
Oxytocin is a hormone that acts as a neurotransmitter. It plays an important role in reproduction. In females, the hormone triggers labor and the release of breastmilk. In males, oxytocin helps move sperm.
Oxytocin plays a number of roles in humans. In context of this article, it’a benefits include:
- engendering trust
- building empathy
- creating and evoking positive relationship memories
- enhancing positive communication
Overall, oxytocin has a direct effect on developing a healthier cardiovascular system; helps you to relax ; and brings about overall healthier psychological wellbeing.
How can you increase your oxytocin for your relationship?
The following methods have been proven to increase oxytocin release.
- Quality and quantity time: The more time you spend with you partner, the more oxytocin is released. As a result, you are more inclined to spend time with each other.
- Touch: Gentle skin-to-skin touch such as stroking or massage.
- Hugs: Heart to heart hugging several times daily
- Be kind: Kindness in thoughts, intentions, words and actions towards others, including and especially your partner.
- Meditation: Especially, kindness and compassionate meditation.
- Gratitude: See your partner/soulmate as a blessing. Moreover, feel it from the depths of your heart. He will feel it even if it is unspoken.
- Eye-to-eye gazing: It is said that the eyes are the windows to the soul. Be vulnerable and open towards each other and take time out to gaze gently into each others eyes for 5, 10, 20, 30 or even 60 minutes without uttering a word.
This may sound old school, but it is true no matter what era we live in. Kindness and compassion towards your partner through quality and quantity time enhances relationships and increases fidelity. Kindness and compassion towards yourself means looking after your spiritual health through meditation, for example.
Meditation can be difficult if it’s practiced randomly. It needs to be a daily habit even if it’s only for 20 minutes a day. Isn’t your relationship worth it?
Click here to access to my 66-Day Meditation Challenge. This is a training course that ensures meditation becomes an easy habit and includes kindness and compassion meditations.